Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Last Resort... aka Plan Z

Well I've finally hit rock bottom on the job search expedition. It's been over a year now that I've been searching and although I've had a few bites--phone interviews and what not, nothing has panned out. I've been thinking for awhile about turning my resume over to a head hunting firm and just letting them do the work for me. My boyfriend's cousin gave up after a long search and did just that, let someone else worry for her. It only cost her her first paycheck and I'm thinking after all the applications I've filled out I'd be more than happy to turn over my first check for a real job. I guess I am just disappointed that I haven't been able to do this on my own, but I know I am not the only going through these hard times. If anyone else has found a job this way, has any tips or suggestions, or even a firm that found you great results... please share!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I feel your pain. I searched, off and on, for a job last fall; nothing panned out until, finally, I got an interview for a work study position in UB's Office of Technology Services, last December (to start in January). I've been working there ever since, but like I said...it's work study! I make next to nothing, and I have to use loan money to break even. I don't get to do anything for myself, really. Last week, I had an interview for a second part-time job, and if I get the callback this week, I'll be working at City Sports for a while. But what happens when the program is over? How am I going to find a "real" job? I can't survive on City Sports and some other part-time job. I need a career kind of job. Maybe I'll just have to suck it up and squander my degree long enough to save up some money to move someplace I can use my degree, because Baltimore doesn't seem to have anything, at least not at the moment.

    New York, maybe! Or California.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly how I feel! Here I have a degree and can't use it. Now I am working on ANOTHER degree to sharpen the first... and still nothing. The worst part is the amount of negativity I've received when I do have a job interview and I tell them I'm trying to further my education. I just don't get it. You're damned inf you do, and you're damned if you don't. I hope you find a job though!

    ReplyDelete