Monday, September 6, 2010

Example of a hypertext narrative...

I find the idea of writing a hypertext (rather a choose you own adventure) narrative really intriguing because it is such a simple concept when creating one online. I chose to follow one of the links Jenny provided us because I had no idea how to find hypertext narratives as Googling examples didn't provide any surprisingly. I clicked through a few of the stories and settled on "Carnival" as it reminded me of those Goosebumps books by R.L. Stine from when I was in middle school. I was consistently left to wonder who the people are behind writing these stories. Students? Amateurs? Are they bored? A lot of the stories are pretty well constructed besides the horrible spelling and bad punctuation (sorry it bothered me!). Some, however, were pretty boring but nevertheless I was amazed at the time probably spent on these kinds of narratives. Does anyone know of any hypertext stories geared more towards kids? My nephew loves to play games online (he's six) and he also likes to read and I figure playing a "game" to find your way through a story might be fun for him to do, I just wish there were pictures for some of the better written stories! Here is a link to one of the better stories I found through Wikipedia, but good luck with the links! A lot of them lead to nowhere and by nowhere I mean you have to start over from the beginning.

Carnival

No comments:

Post a Comment