Sunday, September 5, 2010

An excellent online literary journal...

Shadowbox Magazine

http://www.shadowmagazine.org

What drew me to this particular site was the simplicity of the journal’s webpage. It’s more or less a single paged website with many links used to transport readers to where they want to go.  I also liked that the idea of a “shadowbox” is incorporated throughout the website’s functioning links. When one clicks on the link of choice a shadowbox appears (and if you don’t know what a shadowbox is, the webpage explains that as well). However, that was the one aspect that could have been a little more creatively constructed within the site’s overall layout. The information laden shadowboxes are incredibly plain when compared to the actual site. I found myself wishing that they were more colorful or had some kind of interesting multi-functional purpose like the linked objects on the page that brings them forth. I realize though, that what really is important is the author’s stories and work, not necessarily the website, but either way, I thought the layout would draw interest to said work.

No comments:

Post a Comment