Monday, November 1, 2010

"Bad hair day: Boy, 4, barred from pre-k for long locks"

Bad Hair Day

I find this situation really heartbreaking. A four year old boy is not allowed to go to pre-school at a Catholic institution because his hair is long, why? Because he is growing it out so that it can be donated to people who have lost all their hair due to cancer. In cases like this I really start to question the validity of religion. As Christians, we are taught to love everyone no matter what they've said or done because in the end it is God who will judge them--not us. Well, at least that's how I see it. I don't know exactly what having long hair is going to do in a classroom, but it's pretty disgusting that school officials think it's okay to turn a good thing into--as usual--a needless problem. I could see if the hair was distracting, and come on, little boys with mohawks probably cause more of an uproar than a kid with long hair. But seriously, why do people think they can decide what and what not is appropriate if it's not hurting anyone in the end? And what does this teach children about accepting others who aren't like themselves if adults can't seem to accept them?

1 comment:

  1. I had long hair until I was 5 or 6.

    Anyway, I find that really interesting because every picture I've ever seen of Jesus shows him with long hair...

    Freaking hypocrites.

    ReplyDelete