Friday, October 1, 2010

The Adventures of Television


"Artie. The Strongest Man in The World."

Lately I've been reconnecting with my inner child and purchasing dvds of shows I used to watch "back in the day". Even though "back in the day" seems like it was yesterday. I started with Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, a show I used to watch with my grandparents on the weekends when I would spend the night there. I love that show because although it is based around historic events, it still has storylines that can be found in modern times. But really, I just like history. I also got my hands on Absolutely Fabulous, my favorite BBC show that used to come on Comedy Central when I was in middle school. Watching it now I have to laugh because what middle schooler in their right mind watched this kind of humor? Sadly, that was me at age thirteen.

A few weeks ago I found myself with the complete Daria series, which took me right back to my days in high school, when I had a lot more time to watch television. And now today I ordered The Adventures of Pete and Pete, and that is really going old school. I haven't seen the show since 1998, or so I assume, because apparently that's when Nickelodeon stopped showing reruns. I sometimes watch Nickelodeon now (not by choice) with my six year old nephew, and I find it surprising how the times have changed and how radically different the shows are from when I was a kid. I don't get the cartoons, and the kid sitcoms? Come on. They have nothing on Clarissa Explains it All or Salute Your Shorts. What happened to the fun shows when a kid could still be a kid and not have to worry about being trendy and technologically savvy? And then I realize, wow, I sound old, because I am getting old...er. Which is why I then said thank God for modern technology and the ability to relive my own childhood, one series at a time.

1 comment:

  1. YES! I love these, especially Daria. I want to buy Daria too.

    And I totally agree about Nickelodeon (and kids' shows in general) these days. Disney is horrible as well. Hannah Montana? That's So Raven? Drake and Josh? All of these are awful, and it makes me sad. I miss Clarissa and Doug and Hey Arnold and The Secret World of Alex Mack. I just can't understand where we went wrong. After our generation, kid's shows/movies turned to crap. I suppose I should feel good about that. :-) It's frustrating, though, because OUR shows were on before TV-on-DVD became popular, so a lot of them aren't available for purchase or are only on VHS as "best of" packages. And forget Bluray. Never going to happen. The cool thing is that they're working with Amazon to make on-demand DVDs of shows like Rugrats, Doug, etc. The packaging is not as high-quality as regular DVD packaging, and the same can sometimes be said for video quality, but at least they're buyable!

    ReplyDelete