Sunday, October 10, 2010

"Southern Baptist Seminary leader says seeking spirituality through yoga is not Christian way."

See full article: Yoga is not Christian


When I think of yoga, I don't think of Christianity, or for that matter, any other religious practice. I think of using the body to find a peaceful state through various stretching methods. I was really surprised to read that Christian and Muslim clerics have either removed or tried to prohibit the practice of yoga used by their religion's members. What a shame. While I do not practice yoga on a regular basis, I have used some of the stretches in a women's self defense class as well as in a few other classes as a relaxation tool. I have not been to a class that uses chanting, and if I had, I would not feel as though it was going against my religious outlook to repeat those chants. I do, however, have several friends who use yoga daily and praise its practice as a means to make them feel calmer and happier, especially when they are stressed due to work and personal issues. And, I have even heard, that it is used to help alleviate anxiety felt by women who are having trouble conceiving children. I guess my real concern is that religious leaders feel the need to implement their viewpoints on what others are doing. I could see the concern if yoga wasn't moralistic, but it is an exercise used to promote wellbeing. I would think that, in that case, these religious leaders would be more concerned about trying to uphold moral responsibility and dealing with those who are searching for self-gratification through immoral ways, then simply trying to find some peace through stretching their bodies.

2 comments:

  1. Uh, yeah, I agree. This is a ridiculous waste of time for the clergymen. Where do they think yoga comes from? Or better question, what do they think it does? They know it's a form of exercise, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this article! It is insane that this is even an issue. I guess they got tired of harping on Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete