Sunday, October 10, 2010

Trip to Luray Caverns



This weekend I took a trip with my boyfriend to sightsee at Luray Caverns. I hadn't been there since I about ten, so I was surprised to find that it even though it seemed big then, it definitely felt a lot bigger now. I was also surprised by the amount of people who had also decided that Luray, Virginia was the place to be, but I guess awesome weather will do that. The ride from Baltimore takes about two hours depending on whether you cut through D.C. or take the scenic route, but overall, the ride from city to absolutely no where was worth it. The entire "tour" was a little over an hour depending on how long you stayed in each part of the cave, but I found a lot of interesting nooks and crannies to take photos of which I have included in my website because I was so happy with the outcome. Luray also offers several little museum (car museum and a history of Luray and New Market, Va. museum) as well as a few other little things to get into which I felt were geared more toward children. The only disappointment was that verbal tours are no longer given, that is, you do not walk around with a tour guide, but instead given a headset to listen to as you visit each section of the cavern. I like the idea of being in control of how fast you walk and get info, but I found that a lot of people just kind of stopped in the middle of the walk way when they were listening to their headphones because they couldn't judge that others were waiting to get around them. And personally, I like guided tours as it allows you to ask questions and the headphones do not allow for that interaction. Overall, I would definitely suggest taking a trip out to see the caverns, sometimes there’s nothing better than the enjoyment one gets out of a little natural wonder.

2 comments:

  1. That's cool. I went to see a few caverns when I was a kid. We went to Squire Boon's Cavern and Bluespring Caverns, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shot, Sam! I love Lurray but haven't been there since I was a teen. Nice to know it's still big.

    ReplyDelete