Sunday, October 17, 2010

Chewy, is that you???

I'd be a liar if I said I didn't enjoy fashion. Who doesn't like to put a piece of clothing on and feel good about themself? That's what I used to think to when I would go shopping, until I saw THIS:





Who in the hell scalped Chewbaca?!?! Okay, maybe I am being a bit dramatic seeing how the furry vest look isn't quite so different than someone wearing a fur coat and was popular in the 60's, but it's just the sheer ridiculousness of the trend. I've seen people walking around with the furry boots, which also look stupid, but I can't see how looking like Sasquatch is alluring to girls and women. Upon viewing a commercial for Old Navy and seeing this new fad, my boyfriend asked a great question: Who decides what's hot and what's not? I have always wondered this myself. Yes they're are fashion designers and those who dress people who are too rich and lazy to do it themselves, but how DO they decide what's going to be something everyone else wants to dress themselves up in for a season or two? As is usually the case, it seems like fashion (and the furry vest) are just another example of consumerist stupidity. And while I, too, enjoy looking "good"--the furry vest has got to go. 

1 comment: